Monday, October 19, 2009

Read because you NEED to...

I stumbled upon this article today and it sums up perfectly why I have chosen to read through the Bible in my life right now. So often I have used the bible as a "fortune teller", closing my eyes and letting the bible open and hopefully it will apply to my life. I can't think of a worse way to study God's word! Not only does it cheapen the Truth of the Bible, it becomes about ME and not Jesus. Wrong Wrong Wrong.

I just want to encourage all of you as we struggle through these seemingly fantastical stories of the Old Testament. It's not about our understanding or comprehension. My plan is to just read and suspend my questions - for now. I'm not saying we can't have questions. I just think there is time for that and for my part, I am going to try and just enjoy the story as I would a movie or some other book. I also want to encourage everyone to pray as you are reading, that God would work in us even through the verses that we don't understand or want to believe. I am so excited to be doing this and I know that as we dig deeper, God will change our hearts :-) Happy reading!

Andrea

2 comments:

  1. you're right! You're so right. My prayer for my own head will be for some humility and humbleness. It's sad that I'll let my pride get in the way of understanding or even enjoyment. I'm going to try and not be so critical. As one of my lit professors used to say - "if you look for a ghost, you're going to see a ghost!"

    Thanks Andrea.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true Andrea. Too often we get caught up in the thought of reading the Bible only to get something out of it that gives us that "warm fuzzy feeling". It is SO much more than that and often we overlook the things that are meant to put the fear of God into us! Read the Bible simply to KNOW Him and nothing less. We won't be disappointed!
    Thank you for stopping by Blissfully Domestic. I'm glad the article was helpful to you and I pray it is for others, too. :)

    ReplyDelete